Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Can you Identify this Frog
03-09-2015, 05:47 PM (This post was last modified: 08-09-2015 12:53 PM by AdminII.)
Can you Identify this Frog
        I first saw this Frog as a Green Frog on August the 18 2015.
I then saw it again on the 2 September 2015 and this time it was a Black coloured Frog.
Does this Frog change colour to blend in with it's environment.
Your program wont let me upload the Green Frog picture but I can upload the Black Frog pictures.
I live on Longbush Road, RD4, Gladstone, Masterton, Wairarapa, New Zealand which is in a Rural Farming Community area
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-09-2015, 12:25 PM
RE: Can you Identify this Frog
Hi Karen - I can't see any attachment, Louise Farmer
08-09-2015, 12:55 PM
(03-09-2015 05:47 PM)Karen_A_A Wrote:  I first saw this Frog as a Green Frog on August the 18 2015.
I then saw it again on the 2 September 2015 and this time it was a Black coloured Frog.
Your program wont let me upload the Green Frog picture but I can upload the Black Frog pictures.
I live on Longbush Road, RD4, Gladstone, Masterton, Wairarapa, New Zealand which is in a Rural Farming Community area

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

13-09-2015, 09:11 AM
(08-09-2015 12:55 PM)AdminII Wrote:  
(03-09-2015 05:47 PM)Karen_A_A Wrote:  I first saw this Frog as a Green Frog on August the 18 2015.
Probably a Southern Bell Frog (Litoria raniformis). They can be almost black if they have been in a dark place.

A conclusion is simply the place where you got tired of thinking.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-09-2015, 01:17 PM
This is definitely a Southern bell frog (Litoria raniformus). The identifying features are the little bumps on the back aka warts and the indent running along the spine. Southern bell frogs change colour to match their environment- dark in dark environments and bright green in light environments. It is an introduced species from Australia and considered a pest here, but is a threatened species in Aus. It is legal to keep them as pets in NZ, but illegal to release them or transfer them to other locations.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user