Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Gecko specimen
26-05-2016, 03:44 PM
Gecko specimen
Hi there, can anyone please identify this specimen which is in a museum collection?
Thanks....

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-06-2016, 10:46 PM (This post was last modified: 06-06-2016 10:47 PM by AdminII.)
RE: Gecko specimen
Picture attached, relevant to post above

(26-05-2016 03:44 PM)Rosemary Deane Wrote:  Hi there, can anyone please identify this specimen which is in a museum collection?
Thanks....

07-06-2016, 10:34 AM
(06-06-2016 10:46 PM)AdminII Wrote:  Picture attached, relevant to post above

(26-05-2016 03:44 PM)Rosemary Deane Wrote:  Hi there, can anyone please identify this specimen which is in a museum collection?
Thanks....

Woe, that specimen is very faded, it is not a member of the naultinus genus, thats for sure! it is definately a member of the old 'hoplodactylus' genus (which has split into many different species now) it looks quite large.. do you have any measuements of this individual? as this would help greatly in an ID also a close up image of the rostral scale would help.

Don't Tell Me That You're an Animal Lover, If You Only Love The Cute and Fluffy
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-06-2016, 06:51 PM
Thanks....

Hi Rosemary,

Is there any more information you can give us (i.e. SVL, area collected from etc.)? My first guess based on its appearance (if it has come from NZ) would be a Duvaucel's Gecko Hoplodactylus duvaucelii, they are around 100mm - 160mm SVL (Snout-to-Vent Length) depending on where they come from. It looks as though it is stuffed so I imagine it is a reasonable size? If it is significantly larger than 160mm SVL and has definitely come from NZ then it would have to be a Kawekaweau Hoplodactylus delcourti which would be an incredible find indeed as there is currently only one poorly preserved specimen in a French museum. If it is smaller; then it is difficult to tell what it may be as the pattern appears quite faded and you might need to do lamellae and scale counts to positively identify it, but if I had to guess I might say Woodworthia spp. based on the head shape. Let us know if there is any more information you can give or photos from other angles, even if I can't assist there are plenty of other people on here, with more experience, who certainly can.

Cheers,
Nick

Nick
07-06-2016, 10:19 PM (This post was last modified: 25-06-2016 10:51 PM by rowlands.)
We need more details, such as collection data. It is tempting to think it may be a second example of Hoplodactylys delcourti. It is obviously stuffed, using fairly basic taxidermy techniques like the only known specimen of delcourti. The original specimen has a wider, more bulbous head, but this is almost certainly the result of the poor preservation technique. Attached is the photo of the original specimen from Bauer and Russell's 1986 paper for comparison. More details eagerly awaited!

A conclusion is simply the place where you got tired of thinking.
08-06-2016, 02:37 PM
Thanks....

Looks like Delcourti to me, teeth and digits. From memory the only specimen came to NZ 1990 part of the sesquicentennial celebrations, so guessing some further pictures were taken.

Just one more cage.
08-06-2016, 02:48 PM
Delcourti specimen was over here in 1990, i am picking this is where other pictures came from, they should have been more careful as there is less digits now, not a good picture but those teeth look razor sharp.

Just one more cage.
08-06-2016, 09:35 PM
(07-06-2016 10:19 PM)rowlands Wrote:  We need more details, such as collection data. It is tempting to think it may be a second example of Hoplodactylys delcourti. It is obviously stuffed, using fairly basic taxidermy techniques like the only known specimen of delcourti The original specimen has a wider, more bulbous head, but this is almost certainly the result of the poor preservation technique. Attached is the photo of the original specimen from Bauer and Russell's 1986 paper for comparison. More details eagerly awaited!

Very tempting to think it may be a second specimen of H. delcourti.. it does seem (in my eyes) to look like a larger gecko, but thats just my opinion.. very cool find though! cant wait till the size of the gecko is found!

Don't Tell Me That You're an Animal Lover, If You Only Love The Cute and Fluffy
09-06-2016, 08:49 AM
Hi all,

I have recieved a pm from the Rosemary Deane and the size of the specimen is 265 mm total length. It was part of a collection held by Frank Peat of Titirangi (originally from Dargaville) and is now in the Rotorua Museum.

So...this is certainly not the same specimen as the H. delcourti we all know. At that size...there is a very good chance it is H. duvaucelii. But how did it come to be in a private collection? and where was it collected (island? mainland? captivity?)?

Dylan
09-06-2016, 09:57 AM
(09-06-2016 08:49 AM)AdminII Wrote:  Hi all,

I have recieved a pm from the Rosemary Deane and the size of the specimen is 265 mm total length. It was part of a collection held by Frank Peat of Titirangi (originally from Dargaville) and is now in the Rotorua Museum.

So...this is certainly not the same specimen as the H. delcourti we all know. At that size...there is a very good chance it is H. duvaucelii. But how did it come to be in a private collection? and where was it collected (island? mainland? captivity?)?

Dylan
Why is there a big delay between between posting and seeing post, it could make the post obsolete by the time you view it I for one won't be using it again if this is the way it will continue.

Just one more cage.